Thank you for your interest in volunteering for this event. Unfortunately, all volunteer positions have been filled. Please return to our volunteer opportunity page to check out more great events!
Our Food Cycle program allows community members who can't compost at home to still divert their food waste. Our triple bin aerated static pile system is on a precise timeline to get food scraps cooking and turned into finished compost to be sent back out into the community as fast as possible. Our team of volunteers is instrumental in this process!
The second Saturday of every month we need help building a new pile from the collected food waste. Join us at this event and learn about composting and the amazing bokashi method!
In this event you will assist with:
- Mixing fermented food waste with mulch, coffee grounds, water and other composting process ingredients
- Piling mixture into our aerated static pile bin
- Washing food waste collection buckets for redistribution
- Must be ok getting dirty!
- Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds (or communicate for alternative tasks)
- Must be able to be physically active for 3 hours (but with lots of breaks!)
- Must be at least 16 years old (if under 18 must come with adult supervision)
- This opportunity is open to all experience levels but requires an eagerness to learn!
Click on the 'Volunteer Now' button to sign up for a shift! Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Food Cycle program is a co-op where San Diego County residents and small businesses preserve their organic waste using the Bokashi method and then deliver it to Solana Center to be turned into a nutritious soil amendment and distributed back into the community. If you are interested in becoming a member, find out more here!
137 N El Camino Real
Encinitas, CA 92024