***PLEASE NOTE: The first week of this course has already aired, but those who register now will receive a link to the Week 1 recording and all other materials sent to registrants thus far.
Gardening is truly a way to "go green" and provide positive benefits to you and the planet:
- Growing your own food - or at least a supplement to your groceries - is an easy way to reduce the amount of harmful chemicals you consume and prevent carbon emissions produced by eating locally instead.
- Once harvested, food loses 30% of nutrients within 3 days. Maximize your food’s nutrients by growing and harvesting fresh from your own backyard.
- Gardening is a great form of exercise and stress relief.
- Increase your vitamin D with time spent outdoors. It has even been proven that direct exposure to soil and plants can boost your immune system!
- Plants also act as highly effective air cleaners, absorbing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere to enrich their soil.
Join Solana Center Educator Jennifer for this 4-week virtual webinar-series to learn the basics of organic gardening specifically in San Diego County through weekly interactive lectures. If you’re interested in growing with a community we will offer an option to join our private Facebook group to allow for sharing your personal garden updates with the group! This course will be an engaging program for all ages - we’ll be providing weekly activities for younger gardeners to join in the fun along with our weekly course resources and reading.
Scholarships are available if the course fee presents a financial hardship. Contact Diane at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss.
- WEEK 1: Work with Nature to successfully grow your own groceries - Informed by permaculture and organic gardening concepts, learn how to design and site your garden space.
- WEEK 2: Understand the importance of creating healthy soil to grow healthy plants - Learn easy testing methods using your own soil, and review garden bed options from containers to keyholes.
- WEEK 3: Plant selection and seed starting - Dive into the best types of plants to grow based on the season and climate, and how to start them from seed.
- WEEK 4: Irrigation and harvesting - Learn effective watering techniques and tips to keep your garden flourishing all year round.
Live lectures will be held virtually on Fridays from 10 - 11 AM, occurring Sep. 11, Sep. 18, Sep. 25, and Oct. 2*
*We will also provide an online manual and additional resources which can be done in your own time.
Weekly virtual Zoom webinar sessions. Links to join the webinars will be sent in weekly emails before each session.
About the Instructor:
Jennifer Galey is a Solana Center educator, who is our lead on all things relating to soil – from growing healthy plants to creating nutrient-rich compost. Jennifer coordinated the display gardens and exhibits for the SD County Fair Infield Farm, part of the Plant-Grow-Eat Program for school children during the Fair for 14 years, and has taught Master Composter and Gardening 101 classes for Solana Center for 7 years.
Made possible through generous support from:
|Grow Your Groceries Course Fee (Includes Digital Course Manual!)||$ 50.00|
Download iCalendar entry for this event. iCalendar feed for this event.