Have you ever wondered about what you save by recycling? Here are some figures about how much people waste when they don’t recycle:
- Americans throw out over 25 BILLION polystyrene cups annually.
- The average American uses an amount of paper products every year that would require a 100 foot tall Douglas fir to produce.
- Enough aluminum is thrown out every month in the United State to completely replace all of the nation’s commercial airplanes.
- Every year, enough plastic food wrap is produced to cover the state of Texas.
Recycling also usually uses less energy than making more of what is being recycled from brand new materials. In fact, the energy savings can be quantified quite easily!
- Ton (2,000 lbs.) of paper saves enough energy to power a house for 6 hours.
- Aluminum can saves enough energy to power a television for 6 hours.
- Glass bottle saves enough energy to power a 100-watt light bulb for 4 hours.
- Pound of steel saves enough energy to power a 60-watt bulb for 24 hours.
- Cellphone can save enough energy to power a laptop computer for 44 hours.
Recycling isn’t just good for the environment – it’s also good for your wallet.