Become a Master Composter!
- Minimize your carbon footprint by keeping food and yard waste out of the landfill, helping reduce harmful methane gas emissions.
- Use this "waste" to create a nutrient-rich amendment for your garden. Compost use reduces the need for synthetic fertilizers and pesticides.
- Reduce water use and increase water retention. Compost increases your soil's water holding capacity by up to 7 times and retains water for up to 7 days.
- Discover a wealth of composting options for all needs. Course will cover backyard (traditional) composting, composting with worms (vermicomposting), bokashi fermentation, and an array of associated sub-topics.
Virtual Course Format
- Instruction will take place through a combination of live meetings with our instructors held through Zoom, and independent study.
- Virtual, 1.5-hour weekly meetings will include dedicated Q&A time and live lectures from our instructors.
- Independent study will consist of assigned readings from our online course manual, pre-taped presentations from our instructors and guest speakers, and more!
- We will offer a virtual field trip to observe a large-scale composting operation in action.
- An optional curated Facebook group to share with and learn from others.
This class will meet Wednesdays from 6:30 - 8:00 PM
- Week 1 - May 5
- Week 2 - May 12
- Week 3 - May 19
- Week 4 - May 26
- Week 5 - June 2
Master Composter certification requires attendance at all 5 classes, as well as 30 volunteer hours of related community service. Community service opportunities will be discussed during the course.
Course Fee: $25*
Unincorporated San Diego County residents will receive preferential registration. Residents of incorporated cities will be placed on a wait list and apprised of space available status 1-2 weeks before the start of the course. Please confirm that your home address is unincorporated BEFORE signing up for preferential registration. Enter your address here; you can receive priority registration only if your jurisdiction boundary is "S.D. COUNTY."
*If the fee presents a financial hardship, please contact Diane Hazard at email@example.com to apply for a scholarship.
Made possible through generous funding by
|Place of residence|
|Resident of Unincorporated County of San Diego - $25|
|Non-resident of Unincorporated County of San Diego - waitlisted; $25 upon acceptance|
Download iCalendar entry for this event. iCalendar feed for this event.