***Open registration for this event is closed, but we have a few remaining spots for unincorporated San Diego County residents only.*** If you are interested, please first confirm your residency by entering your address here. If your jurisdiction boundary is "S.D. COUNTY," you can request to join the course by emailing email@example.com.
Not an unincorporated San Diego County resident? We offer multiple Master Composter courses throughout each year! Sign up for our Interest List to be the first to learn when another course opens.
Become a Master Composter!
- Minimize your carbon footprint by keeping food and yard waste out of the landfill, helping reduce harmful methane gas emissions.
- Use this "waste" to create a nutrient-rich amendment for your garden. Compost use reduces the need for synthetic fertilizers and pesticides.
- Reduce water use and increase water retention. Compost increases your soil's water holding capacity by up to 7 times and retains water for up to 7 days.
- Discover a wealth of composting options for all needs. Course will cover backyard (traditional) composting, composting with worms (vermicomposting), bokashi fermentation, and an array of associated sub-topics.
Virtual Course Format
- Instruction will take place through a combination of live meetings with our instructors held through Zoom, and independent study.
- Virtual, 1.5-hour weekly meetings will include dedicated Q&A time and live lectures from our instructors.
- Independent study will consist of assigned readings from our online course manual, pre-taped presentations from our instructors and guest speakers, and more!
- We will offer a virtual field trip to observe a large-scale composting operation in action.
- An optional curated Facebook group to share with and learn from others.
This class will meet Wednesdays from 6:30 - 8:00 PM
- Week 1 - May 5
- Week 2 - May 12
- Week 3 - May 19
- Week 4 - May 26
- Week 5 - June 2
Master Composter certification requires attendance at all 5 classes, as well as 30 volunteer hours of related community service. Community service opportunities will be discussed during the course.
Course Fee: $25*
*If the fee presents a financial hardship, please contact Diane Hazard at firstname.lastname@example.org to apply for a scholarship.
Made possible through generous funding by
|Place of residence|
|Resident of Unincorporated County of San Diego - $25|
|Non-resident of Unincorporated County of San Diego - waitlisted; $25 upon acceptance|
Download iCalendar entry for this event. iCalendar feed for this event.