Are you passionate about creating healthy, living soil and want to make a significant impact on reducing food waste? Join us at the Food Cycle Harvest, where we teach you all you need to know to harvest finished compost from a mid-scale, aerated static pile system.
At this event, you will:
- Shovel finished compost
- Sift compost using our impressive, volunteer-built trommel
- Move compost to the curing station
By composting this waste, we prevent it from reaching landfills, reducing harmful greenhouse gas emissions. Together, we create a greener and more sustainable future for our community.
Opportunity Requirements & Important Notes:
- Attire: Dress comfortably in clothes you don't mind getting dirty. We'll provide gloves, but you're welcome to bring your own if preferred.
- Bring: Don't forget your reusable water bottle! We'll have plenty of snacks to keep you fueled.
- Experience Needed: Composting enthusiasts of all experience levels are welcome. Whether you're a seasoned composter or just starting out, you'll have the opportunity to learn, contribute, and refine your composting skills.
- Age Requirements: Volunteers must be at least 14 years old. Volunteers under 18 years old must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Physical Requirements: This hands-on opportunity involves working directly with compost. Please ensure you don't have respiratory issues (masks can be provided as dust may be present). Additionally, you should be capable of lifting up to 30 pounds and be physically active for approximately 3 hours. Rest assured, we'll provide breaks to keep you refreshed!
This volunteer event is great for:
First time volunteering with Solana Center? Explore the links below to learn more about our organization, programs, and access free resources:
- About Solana Center (learn about our history and who we are!)
- Our Programs (we have many!)
- Our Resources (learn more about composting topics we will explore at this event).
- Our Blog Posts (use this page to build upon your knowledge)