Composting on your farm, ranch, or large property is an ideal way to manage crop residues, manures, and other organic waste while creating a stellar soil amendment. During this three-week course, we will address the unique strategies, challenges, and opportunities that arise through medium-scale composting.
This course does not address typical residential composting or large-scale commercial composting. It is intended for those mid-sized systems that fall in between, particularly horse ranches and small farms.
- Saturday, June 10, 10 AM – 1 PM
- Saturday, June 17, 10 AM – 1 PM
- Saturday, June 24, 10 AM – 1 PM
In this course, we’ll cover the following topics:
- Neighbor-friendly composting best management practices, scaled to farms
- Compost basics, e.g. recipe considerations, feedstocks, and bulk density
- Compost management, e.g. site considerations, odor, dust, and rodent/vector control
- What is permissible on farms without permits
- Composting/water saving benefits
Residents of unincorporated County of San Diego will receive preferential registration. All others will be placed on a waitlist and apprised of space available 1-2 weeks before the start of the course.
BEFORE REGISTERING, please enter your address here to check your residency. You can select the County of San Diego Residents ticket option ONLY if your jurisdiction boundary result is “S.D. COUNTY.” All others must select the waitlist option.
Course Deposit: $25*: The course requires a deposit of $25, refundable upon successful completion of the course.
*If this course deposit presents a financial hardship, it may be waived upon request. Please contact Erin Stone at firstname.lastname@example.org before registering to inquire.