We are excited to share that our Tool Lending Library is back in action with new protocols to ensure the safety of our customers and staff.
As a Regional Gardening Education Center, Solana Center received funding from the countywide Healthy Works program to develop a "library" or shed of garden tools to lend to members of the community. The goal of the library is to support San Diego County residents with their home, school and community garden projects.
Our lending shed includes a variety of tools, from basic garden spades and pruning tools to a post-driver and a long-handled fruit picker. View full list of tools here. Please see below for information about borrowing procedures and for a list of tools. Home, school, and community gardens are an important part of healthy, sustainable communities, and Solana Center supports these efforts on a regular basis! Our Tool Lending Library was made possible with support from the City of Encinitas and Mizel Family Foundation Community Grant Program.
*Please note we no longer lend out our wood chipper*
- Make your reservation by filling out our Borrower's Agreement form. The form will prompt you to:
- Provide your information.
- Agree to lending terms
- View and choose from available tools
- Select when to pick up and return your tools. Please do not schedule a same-day pick up. Scheduling in advance gives us time to prepare your rental.
- Pay a $5 deposit fee here. Your deposit is fully refundable after returning your tools, or you can opt to turn it into a donation to Solana Center; $10 or $15 donations are also appreciated. Please note that your reservation is not complete until you have paid your deposit!
- Come to Solana Center on the day you’ve selected during our open hours. Check in with Solana Center staff, who will direct you to your rented items.
- Tools are due back within 7 days but may be renewed with Solana Center staff approval for one additional week if there are no pending requests. Tools that are kept longer than 7 days without renewal will incur a late fee of $1, per tool, per day*.
- Return your tools during our open hours. Please check in with Solana Center staff, who will verify your return and initiate a refund of your deposit, if applicable.
*Read our Tool Lending Library Policy and Waiver to learn more.